me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Birthday Parties!!

Friday 30 August 2013

Birthday Parties!!

It is sadly true that I haven't lifted a single baking utensil since the passing of Eid. I haven't baked, attempted to bake, or even thought about baking in the last three weeks! Until last weekend that is.... With my nephew celebrating his birthday last Friday, and another nephew having a party on Saturday; all baking duties turned to me, which meant the end of my baking drought!

Drawing inspiration from my sister in laws gorgeous cakes, I attempted my own version of her Belgian chocolate cake classic, for my 13 year old nephew. Using a trusted chocolate cake recipe of my own, I went all out in dressing it up! Complete with Louis Vuitton ribbon!!!

And for the kids party that took place at Action Cricket on Stadium on Main, I made, per request, Red Velvet cupcakes. As I mentioned before, I'm relatively new at red velvet cupcakes, and still feeling my way around the perfect recipe. The recipe I'm sharing today, was given to me by Moon and is deliciously soft and moist, and it is so quick and easy to make! Here is the recipe...



INGREDIENTS

  • 2 1/2 cup cake flour

  • 1 1/2 cups sugar

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 1 Tblsp cocoa

  • 1 tsp bicarbonate soda

  • 1 1/2 cups oil

  • 1 cup buttermilk

  • 4 eggs

  • 3 Tblsp red food colouring ( 1 whole bottle)

  • 1 tsp white vinegar

  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
METHOD

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
  2. Sift all dry ingredients in a bowl.
  3. In another bowl, mix all wet ingredients ( I put it in a blender)
  4. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredient and mix.
  5. Place mixture in either cupcake or muffin tray depending on size you want ( I used cupcake sizes).
  6. Bake for about 12-15 min for cupcake size.
*Tip: I have learnt that timing is everything with a red velvet cupcake, and over-baking changes it's texture. In my oven, I felt that 12 min gave the best results. For muffin size, bake for 18-20 min.

ICING

  • 100 grams butter
  • 125 grams cream cheese
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla essence or lemon juice
Beat all ingredients together, making sure not to over beat as mixture will turn runny, and then pipe onto cupcakes!


 
Enjoy,
 
 
NAMU :)












No comments:

Post a Comment