me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Recipe: Flapjacks

Friday 4 July 2014

Recipe: Flapjacks

One of my children's favourite breakfast treats is Flapjacks. We make them so often in our house, that the kids can almost make it themselves from memory. Since they were very small, right until today, Flapjack making is always a family affair!! All members of the family are hovered in the kitchen, contributing towards the scrumptious treat about to be served; whether it is measuring and mixing, or setting the table...or, as they get older, flipping them over in the pan; Flapjack making has all hands on board!

Recently, they have progressed to doing it solely by themselves, adding their own personal touch with blue colouring and baking it in the waffle pan! Very creative bunch ;-) I think I can totally get used to the idea of being served breakfast for a change...even if it's blue!

With the kids on holiday, I thought I would share our favourite holiday breakfast with you...Maybe you'll even be brave enough to hand kitchen duty over to the kids ;-) Here's the recipe I use. It's so quick and easy that I even make it for the kids on some mornings during Ramadaan.

 
 
INGREDIENTS
  • 250ml Cake Flour (140gr)  (I replace half the white flour with brown flour)
 
  • 10ml Baking Powder
 
  • pinch of salt
 
  • 30ml Sugar
 
  • 1 egg
 
  • 200ml milk
 
  • 15ml melted margarine or oil
METHOD
  1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add sugar.
  2. Beat  the egg, milk and melted margarine together and add to dry ingredients.
  3. Beat until smooth and leave to stand for 30 minutes (or less, if you are as impatient as me!)
  4. Fry spoonfuls of mixture on a hot, greased griddle or frying pan (Reduce to medium heat once pan is hot and do Not add too much grease! Spray and cook works well).
  5. Fry until golden brown, turning when bubbles appear on the surface.
  6. Serve however you wish...everyone in our house loves them differently. Banana, cinnamon and golden syrup, mixed berries, cream or ice-cream, nutella, peanut butter...The combinations are endless!
 
 

 
*All images were sourced as my kids gobble everything up before I get a chance to take pictures...
 
 
Thanks for reading
 
Peace,
 
NAMU :)


No comments:

Post a Comment