me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Recipe - Saucy Prawns and Pasta

Wednesday 27 January 2016

Recipe - Saucy Prawns and Pasta

So schools started and you haven't quite gotten into the rhythm of things just yet. Juggling household chores and getting to grips with the new school routine and extra murals, while still seeing to the varying needs and demands of all your kids of varying ages can leave you a little frazzled. Add to that, trying to get some blogging in and enjoying a quiet, child free mall and taking advantage of the post Christmas sales; the last thing we want to do is slog over the stove to prepare meals. Well, at least not me anyway ;-)
I love whipping up meals for my family, but during the demanding school period, I like it to be easy, simple and fuss free - while still being tasty and appealing to my family. In other words, something that looks exotic, but takes a short time to prepare!
There was a great demand for this recipe after I posted a pic on Instagram, so I decided to share it here. In the case of this recipe, I incorporated a stand alone dish (leftover Saucy Prawns from the night before) with every child's favourite - PASTA! And voila...this saucy prawn pasta dish was born.
p.s Please excuse the lack of pictures in this post...This wasn't intended to be a post, but I will edit when I make this recipe again.  

Saucy Prawns
  • 1kg prawns with shells still on

  • 3 tsp Robertsons Louisiana Cajun spice

  • 2 tsp 11 in one Barbecue spice ( or any barbecue spice, preferably with a reddish colour to enhance end result of the dish)

  • 1 Tblsp Dhanya Chutney OR Mrs Balls chutney

  • 1 Tblsp Garlic

  • Butter

  • 3 TblspTomato paste OR 1/2 cup Tomato Puree (adjust if needed)

  • 300-500ml fresh cream depending on desired thickness of the sauce

  • Coriander for garnishing

*Spice measurements are estimated.  I normally just sprinkle on and adjust as I go along. Please adjust according to taste preference.

Method
  1. Heat butter in a flat bottom pot (not deep). Add prawns, garlic and spices and lightly grill.
  2. Add chutney and stir.
  3. Add tomato paste/puree. Leave for a minute or 2 and then add fresh cream.
  4. Leave to simmer for about  10 minutes. Adjust any flavours at this point depending on taste preference.
  5. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with roti....or, de-shell the prawns, boil some pasta and add boiled spaghetti/pasta of choice to the sauce for a delicious Prawn Linguine style pasta dish!

Thanks for reading!
Peace,
NAMU :)


No comments:

Post a Comment