me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Vintage for Charity

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Vintage for Charity


While most of Cape Town was cuddled up in warm woollies as one of the worst ever Cape Ice Storms hit us, my sisters and I braved the winter chills, drenched in vintage apparel, in aid of charity. Even before Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby, I've always had a love for all things vintage. From my wedding dress to home decor...everything has a touch of vintage inspiration....and as the world embraces flapper dresses, red lips and Mary Jane's; and Hollywood stars incorporate aspects of the trend to their red carpet wardrobe; I got a chance to live out my Great Gatsby fantasy...for The Sunflower Fund's Vintage Fever charity event. Whimsical lace, feathers and boa's, red lips, printed stockings and plenty of bling, was the order of the day!!
 

The Sunflower Fund is a non-profit organisation that creates awareness for the need of bone marrow donors from all ethnic and mixed ethnic groups. Its main objective is to educate and raise funds to build and sustain an effective South African Bone Marrow Registry (SABMR), and improve the chance of life saving transplants for serious blood disorder sufferers. They also help raise funds for those who would otherwise not be able to afford these expensive procedures. It is an organisation that provides hope where hope was lost, and offers a chance of survival to the kids suffering with leukaemia and other rare and serious blood disorders. In this effort to create awareness, The Sunflower Fund hosts various charity events, one of which I attended on Sunday.
 

With my cousin Sameera Parker at the helm of organising this event, my sisters and I had an opportunity to host a table and got our creative juices flowing, with the offer of awesome prizes awarded to the best dressed and best table centre piece!!! Vintage teapots and tea sets, vintage themed cupcakes in vintage teacups, feathers, pearls and chocolaty goodness in between, our table was short listed as a contender for best table and centre piece, which we unfortunately didn't win. All was not lost though. Lace dress, Mary-Jane's, feather headpiece and feather boa draped around her shoulders, my little sister made her way to take her spot as one of the top 10 best dressed at the event!! Seeing her stand up there, broad smile, obviously quite chuffed with herself, she resembled her 10 year old self standing in line to receive her school prize.
 

While the event itself was very entertaining, more importantly, I am glad I had an opportunity to have been involved in this fund. I was especially touched by a mom’s very emotional account of her child's battle with the disease. As a mother, I am always sensitive to the needs of kids. My emotions become heightened to the suffering of children around the globe. Every book, TV programme or news report about children always strikes a chord with me. My children are my life, and the children that are suffering, have mothers whose lives are falling apart too... Although I haven't plucked up enough courage to become a donor myself, I did go out and get a My School card in the name of The Sunflower Fund. At least in that way they will always have my continued support...

  

DECOR

Our beautifully decorated table


Moon pretending to assemble the centrepice that I had already completed lol!


The Centrepiece




Setting the scene for the perfect vintage tea party







TREATS

I'm quite proud of these gorgeous (and tasty) Vintage inspired cupcakes with my mother in law's Vintage Tea cups the perfect accessory, making them look even more appetising!




Aaaah let's not forget a bit of feathers....Love it!




Home made chocolate brownies


There was no competing with Moon on this day.  Even her cake got more attention than my cupcakes and she bought hers at Woolworths! Haha!

The finer details


These may not be vintage but in today's day and age no tea party is complete without yummy savouries!




GUESTS

Abdur and Deed


 Samhita Govender, Me, Moon, Ayesha Royker



(Seated from left:  Joemyma, Tohiera and Wajeah)
It was so great to see so many people put in the effort to stick to the theme in such horrible weather all in the name of the Suflower Fund.


Moon, Ayesha Royker and Me




Samhita Govender was one of the Lucky Draw Winners!



My gorgeous Mum and her sisters

Pretending to be a '20s flapper girl for the day was so much fun!




PHOTOBOOTH FUN courtesy of Blaksheep Photography






This gorgeous fur coat I'm wearing belonged to my mother and she spent the entire afternoon telling anyone who would listen how much i resembled her in her heyday.....such a compliment!

 
 
STYLE INSPIRATION
 
 


My initial inspiration came from all things'20s  a la The Great Gatsby.
 
 
 
 
 



Moon decided to channel the modern day queen of vintage, the charachter Blair Waldorf in    Gossip Girl
 





I think she nailed it!
 

 




BEST DRESSED

Singing in the Rain

Best Dressed Nominee
 


Always one who knows how to accessorise any outfit!






Up on stage eagerly awaiting the announcement


So I may not have made it to the overall top 10 but im pretty sure i was top 2 at our table ;)




Peace,

NAMU :)


No comments:

Post a Comment