me Life and Times of the Fireflies: My Truths- 2013 Highlights and Lessons

Tuesday 24 December 2013

My Truths- 2013 Highlights and Lessons

This year has passed by in a flash and what a year it has been! As we get ready to bid adieu to 2013 and embrace a new year, and with it new goals to achieve and accomplish, it is always great to pause and reflect our journey so far. It is great to see how far we have come and gives us a chance to plot our path forward, for it is in introspection and retrospection that we are truly able to grow, heal, and conquer.

Here is a list of my highlights and lessons of 2013...

Family: It's been nearly 13 years since my brother moved to the UK and as a result we are rarely all together in the same place at the same time! Although modern technology makes the distance seem like nothing at all and correspondence is instant and constant; it is always great being on the same soil, breathing in the same air! This January my brother and his family flew done for my sister's wedding and even though the time together was short; it is moments that will be endearingly treasured...I have learnt that time and distance can never create barriers when you belong to a family!
Family picture taken at my sister's nikah ceremony
 

Oscar Pistorius Who can forget the tragic news that greeted us on Valentines Day! The world watched as Oscar made his epic fall from grace in a rather tragic series of circumstances. Was it an accident? Was it premeditated? We may never know all the facts, but in a world that is bombarded with atrocities, I choose to err on the side of having faith in humanity! Whatever the outcome, whatever opinion the world may hold; I know that everything tragedy is a stepping stone to a much deeper journey; and in this case, a journey which is Oscar's and not ours! What I have learnt through this though, is that the world is more willing to convict than to forgive...

I started this Blog The journey began...(here) After some encouragement and persuasion...and a little bit of doubt, I took the leap and started my little journey of words and thoughts; and though it may lack the pretty pictures and popularity of my fashion blogger counterparts, I am extremely grateful to all who read, those that click the "like" button and those who take the time to comment and share. And to my family of course, for their unwavering support and who is often the inspiration behind the flow of my words. I have learnt that you are never too old to pursue your passion...

My First Concert Experience This year saw me attend my first concert ever (read here)!!! And though it was a lovely and memorable experience that I am glad I got to share with my kids, I doubt I will be rushing out to get tickets to the next big thing anytime soon. I am quite content to just sing along to the car radio on the daily school trek. Oh gosh...I  am surely getting old!!

I became computer literate! While the world embraced technologically, I was busy embracing motherhood! There was never a need for me to be computer savvy until desperation took over when I started to Blog! I knew NOTHING!!! I didn't even know how to save a picture (seriously). My sisters were ever obliging to show me the ropes, as was my 10 year old son....and the rest, as they say, is history;-) I have learnt that every day is an opportunity to learn something new...

Photo shoot with Marie Claire A definite highlight! I'm far from being a supermodel, and I'm by no means quitting my day job, but I got to live out every girls fantasy...even if it was just for a moment! I have learnt that no dream is impossible...that no mountain is conquered by standing still!

Accomplishments Being part of a family means that I do not only rejoice my own accomplishments, but also celebrate the success of those who are near and dear to me as well. Throughout the year I have watched and cheered as so many accomplishments were achieved by all (here). From academics to sports and even art... My nephew got selected as head boy for the coming year, and after 2 years of sacrifice, Deed completed her masters...we celebrated...and we celebrated together! I have learnt that rejoicing the success of others makes the taste of your own that much sweeter.

Madiba died.  (read my tribute )The world mourned the passing of an icon!  But even in grieving, it was impossible not to celebrate the life and history of Madiba...whose struggles, hardships and sacrifices has lead to a better South Africa for us all. Madiba left behind a legacy...a legacy of empowerment for ALL human beings. The lessons learnt from Madiba's lifespan are countless...perhaps the biggest lessons would be the power of forgiveness. That so much more can be achieved with kindness rather than anger. That the key to a rich life is good character and humility...

My favourite picture of 2013 has got to be this pic of me taken on my sister's wedding! Having a Bollywood moment...What I have learnt is that a picture is but one moment frozen in time and behind every picture, is a story untold...


And so the little streams of our lives trickle on...
Seasons have changed once again...
The sun continues to rise and set.
 The stars still adorn the sky at night,
 and the waves haven't ceased to caress the shore.
 Our life's course continues to unravel and unfold...
 
New life welcomed,
Solidly imprinted in our hearts and lives.
Conquering new experiences and thrills,
For us to celebrate and rejoice...
The old continue to impart their wisdom...
Some by the way they live,
and others through their death.
 
Life has handed us many treasures,
Some to adorn our hearts,
and others to strengthen our soul.
There were moments that were tough,
but there were much more laden with joy!
 
And all the while, through it all,
You were there to share it with me.
Mother, Father, Sisters, Brother, Husband...
Children, Friends and Strangers...
Through our bonds, unions, interactions and intersections,
You have all had an effect on my life...
And for 2013 it has definitely been a positive one!
 
 Thanks for being part of my 2013,

Peace,

NAMU:)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment