me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Recipe - Hot Milk Sponge Cake

Friday 30 May 2014

Recipe - Hot Milk Sponge Cake

 
 
 
I've been a little bad with posting recipe's recently and there is a reason for that. My renewed passion in the kitchen has impacted my waistline somewhat and I've been trying to get myself back on track. Having temptation lurking in front of me while everyone else was at work and school was not helping my plight and was a cruelty beyond belief...so I decided to lay off even baking anything that was going to tempt me out of my lettuce leaves!!
 
But alas, the family had had enough of it! And with the weather taking a nice dip over the weekend, the kids (and husband) demanded a treat  to accompany their tea, coffee and hot chocolate...I was going to make a Carrot Cake to ease my conscience (carrots are vegetables and therefore carrot cake is healthy right? ) but that was not their idea of a treat. Ideas were flying all over the show, but little Zee won with his request for a vanilla cake. It made me scratch out a good old favourite Hot Milk Sponge Cake recipe of mine and it seems the family quite enjoyed it...'cos all that was left was a shaving of a slice that I admit, I ate while they were at school ;-)
 
 
 
INGREDIENTS
  • 4 Eggs
 
  • 250 gr Castor sugar
 
  • 280 gr Cake Flour
 
  • 15 ml Baking Powder
 
  • 250 ml Milk
 
  • 100 gr Butter
 
  • 5 ml Vanilla Essence
METHOD
  1. Beat eggs and sugar together until thick and pale in colour.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder together and fold into egg and sugar mixture.
  3. Heat milk and butter. Do not boil.
  4. Stir milk mixture and essence into batter. Spoon into two greased and lined  20cm cake tins.
  5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 25-30 minutes. 
  6. Once cakes are cooled, sandwich together with icing or White Chocolate Ganache.
ICING
  • 150 gr butter
 
  • 300 gr icing sugar
 
  • 3-4 Tablespoon milk
 
  • 4 (or more) Tablespoon Golden Syrup
I usually cream butter and icing sugar really well until it is a light fluffy texture and then add milk, and golden syrup. I drizzled some melted milk chocolate over the icing, but you can decorate however you wish!


     


 
The sun was at a terrible angle when I took these photo's and I was rushing through them a bit because I had a starved out troop who hadn't seen cake in a while, waiting in line for a slice!! But I do hope it does the cake some justice...
 
 
Thanks for reading today and happy baking!
 
Peace,
 
NAMU :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment