me Life and Times of the Fireflies: A Matter of Humanity

Tuesday 15 July 2014

A Matter of Humanity

In all honesty, I don't know where to start with this post. I have no profound words of wisdom. No astounding quotes that echo my heartfelt sentiments. No metaphors to encapsulate my emotions. Nothing.  Nothing but a heart wrenched sorrow at the affairs of the world...

For a long time I sheltered myself from these barbaric realities simply by not looking. Not looking at pictures. Not clicking on links. Not properly researching the realities. For as long as I 'didn't know', my life could continue as normal. My normal. My sheltered reality. But even my normal has come at a price....our often forgotten casualties of Apartheid. By 'not looking', we build immunity to the suffering of others. We silence their voices. And we help put the guns in the hands of the oppressors.

This past week has affected me deeply to say the least. Harrowing images that are impossible to ignore and erase from ones mind...of immense suffering and injustices inflicted by the hands of fellow humans! Visuals that have tormented me during the busyness of the day  and intensified in silent hours of the night. Things my mortal heart cannot comprehend or accept.
 
I live my life by a certain moral code. Where good begets good and bad begets bad. Where I wish my fellow humans what I wish for myself. Where the line between right and wrong is not  blurred by greed and personal gain. It is no surprise then, that I cannot comprehend the stance of the modern world against the obvious serious humanitarian  catastrophes we are presently plagued with!

It is obvious that there is something more sinister brewing here and the only way to stand up to these atrocities is to stand together...not only as members of the same faith, but members of the human race. A wrong is a wrong irrespective of whom it is inflicted upon.

The world is in turmoil because our basic human rights are overridden by greed. By power hungry 'super powers' that are nothing but cowards hiding behind an army. I don't have an army at my disposal but my words are my rockets....

War is wrong...Raping babies and innocent women, is wrong. The kidnapping of over 200 girls in Nigeria is wrong. The Holocaust was an extremity that was supremely wrong! The maiming and torturing of women in Pakistan is wrong. The Taliban is wrong. Saddam Hussein, Gaddafi, Fidel Castro...Wrong. America's attack on the Middle East is wrong. Israel's occupation of Palestine and the consequent decades long suffering  inflicted on it's people is WRONG...

I cannot undo the wrongs of others...but, I can forge forward into the world imparting a footprint of peace with my fellow human brethren. I am no politician or a freedom fighter. Nor an economist. I have no fancy degree or doctorate...I am not a philosopher or physicist. I am just a human...like you. How would you feel if the roles were reversed?

This song says it all...
 
 
United we stand...Divided we shall fall!
 
Peace,
 
NAMU :)

No comments:

Post a Comment