me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Recipe : Chocolate Cake

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Recipe : Chocolate Cake

I seriously have no idea where time has raced off to! We have gone from July to October in a flash and all of a sudden I have found myself in the middle of Eid week without a clue of what I am doing!! The kids are winding down as they have come to the end of another school term and at least there is a week long reprieve to look forward to after this crazy week I have ahead!
 
In times of duress, I like to stick with what I know. Relying on the calmness of familiarity to carry me through the storm. Using formulas that I know work, eliminates unnecessary anxiety and stress! It is one of the reasons I will be sticking to my reliable favourites from my recipe books this Eid. The last thing I would want are flopped first attempts at something new!
 
A definite on my list is this Chocolate Cake. Let's face it, chocolate is a hit with everyone! And with so many ways to dress up a cake, you certainly can't go wrong here. I thought that with Eid just a few days away, I would share my go to Chocolate Cake recipe with all of you. Perhaps you have found yourself in a mad rush like me...perhaps, like me, you are scanning your brain for ideas...then perhaps this recipe is just what you need :-)



 
INGREDIENTS
  • 6 Eggs
 
  • 2 cups sugar
 
  • 2 cups S/R Flour
 
  • 3 Tblsp cocoa powder
 
  • 3 tsp baking powder
 
  • 4 tsp good quality coffee
 
  • 1 cup boiling water
 
  • 1 cup oil 
 
 METHOD
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease either one rectangular or 2 round baking trays.
  2. Beat eggs and sugar together very well, until thick and pale. This step is extremely important so make sure you beat it well!
  3. Sift dry ingredients.
  4. Dissolve coffee in boiling water.
  5. Add dry ingredients, coffee & boiling water mixture and oil and stir (or beat on low speed) until combined.
  6. Pour into prepared tray and bake for 45 min for rectangular tray and 25-30 minutes for the 2 rounds (test with a skewer to make sure it comes out clean before removing from the oven).
  7. Once cakes are cooled, you can decorate as desired. (Try using my ultimate icing recipe found here ).
*This recipe can also be halved and made in  a Bundt mould or two loaf pans as I did here. This recipe also keeps very well!


 
 

Good luck with the Eid baking!
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Peace,
 
NAMU :)

No comments:

Post a Comment