me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Eid Mubarak from my family to yours!

Friday 30 June 2017

Eid Mubarak from my family to yours!

 



I think it had a lot to do with the short winter days that made Ramadan feel like it passed at lightning speed this year! Nevertheless, I am grateful to have been enveloped in the magical aura that the month brings with it, even if it did seem like it was over before it even began.
 
 
With Ramadan, Eid and school exams all coinciding - plus having to motivate a little one fasting for the first time this year; I tried to be smart about all the prep revolving around the festivities. I didn't want to be caught up in the madness that usually ensues with Eid preparations; but I also didn't want to feel like we are losing out on all the excitement either - especially for Zee, who successfully completed fasting the entire month!


I managed to get all the Eid clothes done in the first week already, while the malls were still quiet and the options were plenty...but somehow still managed to forget to buy my youngest child shoes (I managed to get it last minute though)! Also, for the first time in my life, I ordered two cakes for Eid. It felt very strange not chasing my own tail in the kitchen on the day before Eid, but it did ease the load tremendously and gave me a chance to be more present with the kids...it also proved to be a life saver since I landed up sick in bed 2 days before Eid. God alone knows how I would have managed had I not ordered those cakes!


Sometimes I feel like I'm desperately hanging onto traditions and that the effort is futile. I worry that a lot of it will die down with the generations to come; but then I look around on days like Eid and see how wonderfully the community comes alive on days like these, and it eases the worry just a little bit. The roads are still busy with last minute shoppers, the shops fridges are still out of stock of fresh cream, and social media is still filled with everyone's Eid OOTD and family portraits!  As the children are growing, they are starting to add on little traditions of their own and it made me realise that even though the way we do things is constantly evolving, the sense of family still remains.


And because one of our favourite Eid traditions has always been lining the kids up for photo's, we certainly weren't going to miss out on that this year! Over the years it's been good to look back on in wonderment at some of our fashion faux pas (Rocky's neon jeans) and also the children's evolution! They have grown, they have blossomed and they still look forward to getting together for Eid dinner at Naani's house!










 

































Eid Mubarak from all of us!
 
 
 
Peace,
 
 
 
NAMU :)

No comments:

Post a Comment