me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Seventeen

Wednesday 23 August 2017

Seventeen

 
 
Wow,17 years old already! Where did the time go!
 
I've been thinking a lot about your birth day - the actual day you were born - and it got me thinking how privileged I am to have been able to watch you grow up and be part of your journey. There's a lot of memories housed in this heart of mine. 17 years of fun times and adventures and weekend outings and Summer holidays swimming in the backyard. 17 years of watching you grow into the charming guy you are today. Seventeen years! Seventeen...
 
Over the years, the time spent together has become a little less frequent. Everyday visits turned into almost every day...to weekends...to most weekends...to some weekends (but hey, at least we still have school runs and holidays!). And as your life has become busier and your work load has intensified and your responsibilities increased, and all these new things have started to take up your time; I have been watching you from the side lines, my heart beaming with pride!  
  
But I think I have more than just watched you grow because, for the most part, you have grown up alongside my own children  and in every way possible, you fill the role of their big brother. You guys have a close and unique bond and you all crack me up on a daily basis with your competitive banter and incessant laughter. Those few minutes driving either to or from school provides me with so much entertainment and we might not do things exactly like we used to, but that doesn't mean that we can't still have fun - seriously, I couldn't ask for more...maybe only that you all hold onto that bond even when you are old.
 
You have accomplished a lot in this space of time...a result of lots of hard work and determination and I have no doubt that the future holds great things for you. Success, I feel, will come naturally to someone like you. Your diligence and perseverance paving the way. The only advice I can give you is to not be too focused on the road ahead that you forget to look back at the people watching and cheering you on as you make that climb.
 
 
It's been a fun ride so far, and I'm so grateful to your mom for sharing you with all of us. I know there will come a point where we will have to let go a little more, when you studies and career will have to take precedence...and then a little bit more after that. Watching someone you love flourish and grow is a beautiful thing, but letting go is always hard. Right now we are here to support you as you fulfil your dreams, but always ALWAYS remember that no matter where your road leads; it also leads back to us.  We love you, and we're extremely  proud of you and we will always be here for you no matter what <3
 
 
 
 
 
 
Love Always,
 
 
 
JAAN <3



YOU CAN FIND MORE BIRTHDAY STORIES TO AGU HERE:

A Son I call my own


Count on Me


A Year of Change


Celebrating 16
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment