me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Summer Mocktails

Tuesday 9 December 2014

Summer Mocktails

 
Summer is here and after a month (if not more) of non-stop slogging, I feel in desperate need of a holiday! Tranquil, turquoise waters would be an ideal escape right now.... Preferably a Tropical Island, where all I can do is lounge around on a secluded beach sipping fancy cocktails while working on a tan. Now more than ever, I feel the need to slow down and release (ever so slightly) the hold on my responsibilities, kick of my shoes and just RELAX!
 
But, with  just a day barely a few hours between me and the school holidays, it will be a long six weeks before I see even a glimpse of a quiet moment for myself (SIGH)! Stuck in the middle of year end festivities and school Summer Vacation, it's an all round defeat for me! Home certainly is the lesser of the two evils and I will be living out this summer with the mantra "If you can't go to the Island....then bring the Island to you!"
 
So, in just a few hours, I will be driving out of the school parking lot; holiday destination, home. Living my tropical island dreams in my own backyard, lounging by the poolside with a colourful drink in my hand while the kids have a swim...the only time I dare brave the silly season outdoors will be to restock the ingredients of my favourite Mocktails...Now, if only the universe hears my plea and plays it out exactly the way I picture it in my head ;-)
 
 
Berry Spritzer:  This drink was introduced to me by my oldest sister and is the perfect Summer cooler! Super easy to make, a pretty accompaniment to a Summer barbecue  and extremely refreshing...
 
  • Cherries and Berries Juice
  • Sprite Zero
  • Frozen or fresh berries (I used frozen)
  • Mint leaves
Add about a cup of berry juice, add mint and allow to infuse for a bit. Top up with sprite zero. Add the frozen berries and ice blocks if desired and your perfect poolside mocktail is ready to drink!
 
 
Pina Colada : This is a little (ok... a lot) calorie heavy, but oh so delicious! A real treat on those days where the days are heavy and the taste and smell of tropical island is in desperate need!
 
  • 4 tblsp chopped pineapple (fresh or canned)
  • 1 cup pineapple juice
  • 2 cups coconut cream or milk
  • 4 scoops vanilla ice-cream
  • crushed ice
Blend all the ingredients together thoroughly. Pour into glassware of choice and serve! Best enjoyed chilled. This quantity is enough for a few people.
 
 
 
Food Styling and Photography : Amina Ebrahim
 
Glassware from : Mambo's Plastics Warehouse
 


 
 Have a fantastic festive season and stay safe!
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Peace,
 
NAMU :)
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment